Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Mill Valley Film Festival (Throckmorton)

Receiving a tip from the Balboa Theater weekly newsletter, I decided to check out the ongoing Mill Valley Film Festival. I'd heard of it before, and had the vague impression that it was something big, so I wanted to see what it was all about. The lineup from the website looked impressive, however the experience was a little disappointing. The website turned out to be a big liar and we missed the movie about basketball that I was really excited to watch. HollyG got me an apple/pumpkin to salve the wound, and we caught the next film at the Throckmorton theater in Mill Valley. Not a true movie theater, the venue was more of a live theater type of thing, with a digital projector and an art gallery in the pre-seating area. The original venue (which actually was a movie theater) was the one whose roof fell in, so I'm a little more forgiving for the scheduling inconsistencies and the venue mis-listings, given the circumstances for the festival.

One cool note about the theater was that there were no permanent seats in the building. I found this pretty strange given that the room was a full time stage theater. But it seemed to work and I found myself more disturbed by the implausibility of the plot developing on the screen than the lack of cushiness on my butt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home