Sunday, February 06, 2005

The UA Metro

Having wanted to watch a movie here since I first saw it last week, I was prepared for a pleasantly grand (if a little run down) theater. And I pretty much got what I expected.

It was a much bigger venue than I had thought, like one of the bigger rooms at a standard multiplex. It had an earlier version of stadium like seating, which I like. The room fanned out like a concert hall, which I also prefer to the straight boxes that are prevalent at the mercado or metreon. And the room was huge and decorated beautifully. Lots of classic details on the railings and murals on the walls.

I was impressed with the sound (at least during the trailers, it seemed to drop a little power for the feature) and the picture was a terrific size, totally immersive, but not too big to follow.

But after the movie was done, I noticed I had been uncomfortable throughout. And Martha mentioned a similar discomfort. The seats and spacing don't look like they've undergone much consideration lately, and the armrests were occassionaly missing. That was the biggest letdown. If not for the seats, it would be very serviceable movie watching location. It's a lot like the aquarius and guild in that way.

The theater was filled to about 5% capacity and martha predicted that it wouldn't be around long. Another factor that might contribute to that would be the fact that it costs $14 to park at the garage next door and that in the crowded shopping of the marina, there's little chance that you'll find parking anywhere else.

We managed to take a bus over from noe valley (the 24 which takes a very exciting and scenic route) but the trek from the fillmore (and especially back up the hill) was a little taxing. In the end it's only a couple of blocks, not much to complain about.

On another note, I didn't realize regal had theaters in the city. I suppose I should have realized that anything with a UA name is regal, but it just never occurred to me. Maybe as the biggest theater chain in the country they should ship in some nicer seats :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home